Every time a new software delivery system comes along, misconceptions invariably pop up as to the suitability of using existing speakers with the new technology. Not long after the news of "96kHz/24bit" high definition formats (stuff like DVD-A and SACD) started appearing in audio magazines, I took a call from a consumer who wanted to know if his current Polk speakers could reproduce frequencies "as high as 96kHz."
The answer is "No. And they don't have to."
"96kHz" refers to the digital sampling rate of the analog-to-digital-to-analog conversion process, not to the frequency range of the audio output to your speakers.
While the new high definition formats do allow for audio output well above 20kHz, and while it may be audibly beneficial to have wide bandwidth source components and amplifiers, there is no need to have speakers with response much beyond 20kHz. You just can't hear that well.
Your existing speakers will allow you to hear benefits from DVD-A and SACD formats. That said, it should also be said (sales pitch ahead) that better speakers will allow you to hear those benefits to a greater degree. But don't believe anyone who tells you that you need new speakers just because "there are new formats available." And certainly don't fall for claims of speaker frequency response to 40,000Hz or 96,000Hz. That's just marketing poo poo.
When we say that the new LSi Series is "designed for the new high definition formats," we simply mean that these formats have "raised the bar" and pushed us to develop newer and better speaker technologies.
"It is rare to find such precision, even to the smallest detail, in a loudspeaker at these price points." - AF DIGITALE (Italy) 11/02
"Midsized speakers don't get much better than the LSi7... Compared to their real competition, which lies in the high end, Polk's LSi7 speakers...are excellent buys." - Mark Fleishman, Audio Video Interiors Magazine 10/02
The LSi7 is a bookshelf speaker that delivers superior linearity, definition and imaging, as well as bass response that's rich, deep and satisfying. Like the whole LSi Series, it is highly accurate and intensely musical. Its single driver and Ring Radiator Tweeter present a large soundstage without sacrificing pinpoint localization. Listen to the LSi Loudspeakers with SACD and DVD-Audio sources to reveal higher accuracy and resolution, with more dynamic response and superb focus; true three-dimensional imaging and remarkable reproduction of even the finest details.
The LSi7 features:
- Superior musical accuracy, serious theatrical impact.
- Designed for high definition formats such as SACD and DVD-Audio.
- Mirror imaged pairs for tightly focused highs and true three-dimensional imaging with minimized room reflections: Hear what you've been missing!
- 5 1/4" Dynamic Balance driver with Aerated Polypropylene cone for wide response and low distortion.
- Cast aluminum driver baskets resist flexing and "ringing" for ultra-tight bass and coloration-free midrange.
- Ultra high performance Ring Radiator tweeters, rare in speakers at this price-point, for extended frequency response, low distortion, excellent dynamics, and superior detail and transparency.
- Side panels are 1-1/2" thick for a totally inert enclosure - you hear all the music and only the music.
- Precise deep bass response provided by a rear-firing Power Port venting system built into the speaker's back plate, which doubles as a convenient wall mounting bracket.
- Smooth, natural midrange reproduction thanks to patented Acoustic Resonance Control technology.
- Magnetically shielded for safe placement near video monitors.
- Premium crossover components with advanced transducers for consistent high-end sound quality.
- Mylar bypass capacitor in the high-pass crossover extends and flattens high frequency response. Hear musical details you've never heard before!
- Open architecture low diffraction grille for spacious imaging.
- Dual (bi-ampable) gold plated 5-way binding post inputs for the most secure wire connections and the most versatile wiring applications.
- Sculpted real wood side panels available in Ebony or Cherry finish.