Fry's ISP Quick Setup Guide: Mac OS 7-8
How do I set up MacOS 8.x to use the Fry's ISP?
- Open the Apple Menu, and choose the menu item labeled ControlPanels. Double-click the icon labeled Remote Access Control Panel. If the arrow in the upper-left hand corner points right, click it so that it points down. Then click the radio button next to Registered User.
- Enter your firstname.lastname@example.org in the box labeled Name and your password in the box labeled Password. NOTE: You will not see your password as you enter it. This is normal. Then click the checkbox next to Save Password.
If you do not know your password or have forgotten it, contact ISP Technical Support Staff at (408) 487 4622 to have a new one assigned. IMPORTANT: ISP Technical Support Staff will NEVER ask you for your password.
- Enter the Fry's ISP phone number in the box labeled Number. Next double-click the TCP/IP Control Panel and choose PPP from the Connect via pull down menu.
- Choose Using PPP Server from the Configure pull down menu and enter the Primary and Secondary DNS numbers in the box labeled Name server addr Click the close box in the upper-right corner of the TCP/IP window. Congratulations! You
are now ready to proceed to use the Fry's ISP!
How do I set up MacOS 7.x through MacOS 8.1?
NOTE: These instructions require FreePPP software to access the internet. FreePPP does not come preloaded on most pre-OS 8 Macintosh systems, but is available from the FreePPP group free of charge.
Please download FreePPP 2.6 and follow the instructions. (You will probably need Stuffit Expander to uncompress the files.)
- Install the FreePPP software and restart your Macintosh.
- After your Mac restarts a window will open that includes the FreePPP Setup program. Double-click the FreePPP Setup icons to run this program. If the arrow in the upper-left hand corner points right, click it so that it now points down.
- Click the tab labeled Accounts, then click on the Edit button, then enter Fry's ISP in the box labeled Accounts. Next click directly on the pop-up menu labeled Connect
- Enter your email@example.com in the box labeled Name and your passwordin the box labeled Password.
NOTE: You will not see your password as you enter it into the field. This is normal. If you do not know your password or have forgotten it, contact The ISP Technical Support Staff at (408) 487 4622 to have a new one assigned.
IMPORTANT: ISP technical support will NEVER ask you for your password.
- Click the tab labeled Dialup. Enter your local area code in the box labeled Area Code and the phone number that you will be using to dial-in to the Fry's ISP in the box labeled Telephone Number.
- Click the tab labeled Options.
In the options menu enter frys.com
in the box labeled Domain
Name, then enter the Primary and Secondary DNS numbers in the boxes.
- Click the radio button labeled IP Address Assigned by PPP Server, click OK, then click the arrow in the upper-left hand corner (which is pointing down) so that it points right again. Choose Fry's ISP from the pop-up menu labeled Connect To.
How do I use my Internet Service now that I have set it up (Under the MacOS 7.x through MacOS 8.1)?
- Open the FreePPP Setup application, click the Connect button. The message should say Dialing. You may hear your modem dialing. This is normal.
- After your modem connects to the Fry's ISP, the message should change to Authenticatingand then momentarily you will be Connected. After connected it will list your connection speed.
- Congratulations! You are connected and ready to use the Internet!